Sunday, December 30, 2012

Goals for 2013


Well, it's about that time to make New Year's resolutions.  I'm determined to get a bigger house one of these days, but for that to be possible, 3 things have to happen:

1) I have to get our current house in tip-top shape to sell it
2) I have to budget to save money for a bigger house
3) I have to have another child to warrant a bigger house

Don't worry, #3 is not in the plans for 2013.  But the first 2 are.

Here are just a few of the many things on my to-do list:

1) Stick to a budget - especially one which limits how much we spend eating out.  This is a lot easier now that I don't get much time for a lunch break at work and because Brad and I rarely go out to eat anymore with Ryan.

2) Identify things in the house to toss, donate, or sell at a yard sale.  I'm hoping to start a neighborhood yard sale in the spring - until then, things are going in the attic.  I want to abide by this by the end of 2013:


3) Give everything in the house a home.  I'm doing fairly well with Ryan's things so far but there are still plenty of things that are scattered.  To help with this, I'm hoping to make some storage additions.

4) Create a desk area in the kitchen.  I moved our sofa table in there and the plan is to install shelving above it to store office supplies, binders, and filing.  A priority is to get the mail, bills, and filing under control once and for all.

5) Get new living room furniture!!  I'd really like to accomplish this with a tax return (fingers crossed) and before Ryan starts cruising around.  We have limited seating now, our coffee table has super sharp corners, and our couch is impossible to get up off of.  Now if Brad and I could only agree on a set... Oh, and did I mention I want all new decor?

6) Set up a mud-room type of furniture set on the wall in the living room that includes a bench with storage for more toys; hooks for Ryan's bag, coats, and my purse; and shelving for pictures.

7) Buy new curtains for the living room and the master bedroom.  And maybe replace the vertical blinds in the kitchen with some curtains.  Maybe.

8) Find a piece of furniture to store our towels in that looks nice in our bedroom.  Our bathroom wasn't quite made out to store towels unfortunately.

9) Re-do the mantle.  I think I'll take down the wrought-iron decoration that came with the house and put up a mirror, a letter "T", some large photos, etc.

10) I've been wanting to get the front door painted for a while now, maybe I'll actually get that done.  I'm thinking a nice burnt orange.

11) Safety proof the house and create a cleaning checklist or some kind of habits to keep things cleaner.  Going to have to with a curious baby!

What do you have in mind for 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment