Saturday, February 26, 2011

Best Valentine's Day Gift Ever?

Last night Brad and I went to dinner at Anthony's, a new Italian place in town.  It was small, simple, and yummy.  Not sure if it's better than one of our nearby favorites, The Rome, but not bad.  Then it was off to the Joshua Radin extravaganza concert - Brad bought me tickets to the show for Valentine's Day.

We sat upstairs not realizing that they actually had assigned seats and general standing admission for this show (they NEVER do this).  We just acted cool though and lucked out, never having to move!

The opener was Laura Jansen, solo singer/piano player.  So cute and quirky!  She's originally from Holland (hence the video below) and taught us a new work: Kvelich, which means "yummy and cozy".  Those harsh k's are hard to articulate!  She did a version of Kings of Leon's "Use Somebody" that Brad really enjoyed:


Next was Cary Brothers, that's his name, it wasn't like the Jonas Brothers or the Avett Brothers.  He did some solo stuff and some with the band (who was also Josh's band).  He sang a version of "Blue Eyes" on the piano with Laura that was also awesome.  Here's the guitar version:


Then finally it was Joshua Radin's turn.  Swoon!  Brad doesn't quite understand it, it's a bit like the phenomenon of the Twilight Series and Bieber Fever - he just makes the girls scream!  It was the only concert I've been to that the audience actually "shushes" so people will be quiet when he plays his quite depressing songs away from the mic (still super sexy...).  There were some upbeat ones too (for him) and he had people stationed around the place with iPhones to videotape (do they still call it that since we no longer use tapes I wonder?) one of the songs with audience participation.  Here's one of my favorite songs:


I had SUCH a good time and love Brad for taking me.  I think he enjoyed himself :)  Kerry Brothers was the "rock meat in a depressing songs sandwich" but it still all made me smile.

Stay tuned for a post revealing my most recently downloaded iTunes songs!

4 comments:

  1. Cary Brothers is the original artist of "Blue Eyes." The song was on the garden state soundtrack. Hope you had fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Brad is such a sweetheart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Joshua Radin too. He opened for Missy Elliot a few years ago at the Blue Note. I recognized a few of his songs from movies, and I believe a few television shows (Grey's Anatomy included). I love his sound.

    ReplyDelete